Saturday, March 16, 2013

In Loving Memory of Dacajeweiah: 'Splitting the Sky'


Dear Friends, Brothers and Sisters of 'Splitting the Sky', it is with great sadness and a very heavy heart that I bring you this news. Our beloved brother; the tireless and fearless warrior / activist Dacajeweiah has passed away:

"Mohawk Warrior and Champion of the People Dies – March 13, 2013. A great loss to the people, to the nation, to the resistance, anti-imperialist movement right across Great Turtle Island.
JOHN HILL on March 13th, Dacajeweiah, Splitting-the-Sky, 61, left us forever when he passed away in his home in Adams Lake, British Columbia. Dac’s colonial name was John Boncore Hill, from Six Nations. “From Attica to Gustafsen Lake,” and thereafter, he was a warrior, a comrade, a brother, a father, a grandfather, a friend.
We deeply mourn his loss.
The family will release a biographical statement and details of memorial arrangements in due course. With deepest love to his wife, She-Keeps-the-Door, and children. We stand with Dac’s many many co-fighters and friends. He loved the People. The AIM song is dedicated to the continuance of the resistance after a warrior has fallen A.I.M. song"
MNN Mohawk Nation News
http://mohawknationnews.com/blog/2013/03/15/splitting-the-sky/

In his honour, and in his own words ....

Anthem For Dissent by Splitting the Sky





I am still dealing with the shock myself and grieving this loss, but would like to share this with you.

I was a friend and fellow activist who had the privilege and honour to have worked with "Dac", as he was known to his friends, for a number of years. I previously managed his website and originally created this blog for him. Thus, I have taken the liberty to log in here and to post this news on his behalf.  Dac had 100% trust in me to do what is right and needful in this respect, as well as to write in his name when he could not. I believe in my heart that this is now appropriate and needful, and that he would appreciate my informing you.

I do not know the details surrounding his passing. Only that which has been posted at MNN, so please check back with them for more info as it becomes available. But I will share thoughts and feelings with you, and pay my respects to him.

Dac was a great friend, a legendary activist, a warrior for his people, and friend of all mankind; a dear brother in the struggle for truth, peace and justice with whom I worked closely for a number of years. His passing is a great loss for the world.

He was a principal leader of the Attica rebellion in 1971, a leader within the American Indian Movement with the League of Indigenous Sovereign Nations, in particular and leader at the Gustafen Lake Stand Off in 1995. He and his family were in NYC in September 2001, staying in a hotel,very close to the Twin Towers, and they left the city, just hours before the events of 9/11, sensing that something terrible was about to go down. Two days later in Montreal, he declared that "9/11 was an inside job!" and he named those whom he believed were behnd it: the Rockefellers and International Bankster Gangsters and Wall Street Financiers. He said "Follow the money!" And he did. He became a 9/11 Truth researcher, advocate, activist and speaker. He was also the only man to have ever attempted to arrest the International War Criminal George W. Bush in Calgary, on March 17th, 2009.

I am very sad to learn of the passing of my great friend Dacajeweiah; a legendary activist, warrior for his people, friend of all mankind and a dear brother in the struggle for truth, peace and justice, with whom I am so proud to have worked with for a number of years. There are few people who have ever experienced pure evil as this man had in his young life, including years of solitary confinement and torture, and many attempts on his life. And yet, he was not bitter. It made him fearless, determined and dedicated to exposing the criminality of the powers that be, and confronting them when the opportunity arose, to hold them accountable.

There are few people on this planet with the courage, dignity and moral character that this man had, to speak "truth to power", and, not only talk the talk, but to walk the walk, to do what is right and necessary in the face of evil. I had the honour and pleasure of traveling across Canada with him twice, organizing speaking events and interviews for him, and we shared the podium together on a number of occasions. His speeches were a special thing to behold! But then afterwards, we would relax, sang some songs, told jokes and had some deep belly laughs. He was such a humble man in his private life too.

He and I eventually went our separate ways as things in life dictated, but there was never any loss of love and respect for him. "Dac" you inspired me very much, and to speak out about the crimes and injustices committed against my own people.

I love you brother and only wish I had had a chance to tell you so once again, face to face. I will never forget you bro, and will miss you very much, with fond memories and many thanks for all that you did, and tried to do, for your people, and for all of humanity!

My heart and my prayers go out to 'She-Keeps-the-Door' and all of their family and relations.


Wayne P.


PS. This blog contains a great many informative posts and YouTube videos which are still available, featuring his very powerful public speeches and radio interviews. You will also find the documentary I made about his attempted arrest of George W. Bush in Calgary in 2009 called "Splitting the Sky vs Bush: Civil Resistance in the 21st Century".  Simply scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see a link which says "older posts", and just keep repeating that process.

I will leave this blog up permanently in his memory and honour, UNLESS his wife and family request that it be removed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping this site going.
Rest in Peace Splitting the Sky,, a true warrior who I admired greatly for his bravery, hard work and dedication to justice and truth.

Noor al Haqiqa said...

Within one week Canada has lost two of its most (in)famous heroes. First Doug Christie. And now Splitting the Sky. Doug I expected, John's a total surprise and shock. My heart is heavy beyond belief today and I send out condolences to all who knew and loved him, especially his family. John, you WILL be missed. I, Too, put up a memorial page to him on my blog.wsndwai 10

marilyn prante said...

Having had the privilege of meeting Dac and listening to him speak, I was humbled. Truly a courageous man, he will be sadly missed. My heartfelt condolences to his wife and family.